Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Hi Everyone....Back from Vacation....

Welcome back and sorry for the vacation from writing. This summer has been a magnificent one weather-wise. Fun filled and action packed with the 2 kids schedules, family obligations, summer parties and picnics and of course as much boating as possible! With all that activity, there comes food planning, "dish bringing" and some sort of economical shopping for the bbq's and weekly dinners you may be planning.

I am an avid Sunday newspaper reader. I love to look at all of the additions to the paper and of course the weekly ads. I gather an armory of information on bargain shopping for the week ahead as well as clip as many coupons as I can. It is a great resource for planning, scheduling and learning. Even while on vacation I always try to get the local Sunday paper. I compare pricing from stores in that area vs. the Capital District. Different area but nonetheless worth looking at

Recently, I hit a great bargain at our local Price Chopper. It happen to be a week filled with "buy one get one free" items. The great score of the week was a magnificent boneless pork chop. They were buy one get one free and ran about $4.99/lb. Each package had 2 - 12oz pork chops that were thick and marbled nicely. The one package may have had 3 - 8oz portions....but regardless very nice.

The first package:

Marinated the 3 chops in olive oil, fresh garlic, s&p in a zip loc bag for about 2 hours.
Grilled them outside on the grill....about 10 minutes on one side and 15 minutes on the other. Internal temp on pork should be around 160 degrees.

The second package:

I took a partially frozen chop and cut it in to 3 thinly sliced chops for a total of 6 from both chops. Pounded it out lightly and flash fried it in olive oil/butter and browned on each side.

I wiped out the pan and placed pork on a plate. I chopped up 2 small tomato's that I picked off of my tomato plants that my father has so nicely maintained, added black olives, capers, olive oil, fresh garlic and sauteed in pan. I put the pork back in the pan and topped it with the tomato mixture and melted brie cheese over the top. It was so good and heart healthy as well.

I do not normally shop in Price Chopper but on occassion will when a bargain pops up like that one. I am finding more and more that the major grocery chains in our area are all beginning to compare in pricing. What one has cheaper or on sale the other may have something that is relativley cheaper or on sale.

Thanks for listening and Happy Cooking.

No comments:

Post a Comment