Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Hello Again.....Leftovers Anyone?

I have to admit I am not a huge "leftover" person. I am not big on eating the same meal 2 or 3 times in a row. The only time I can dive in to leftover's is when it they come home with me from an Italian restaurant. I love it when they plate enough chicken saltimboca that you can serve the family for an entire week! Something about sitting down the next night and diving in to that goodness. After it sits in the "to go" container it gains a sort of signature appeal that screams "nuke me"!

With that said, I do not like to waste food, so I try to make an entirely different meal out of something I prepared the evening before. I have learned over the years that when I cook I always cook an abundance of food because one never knows who will be stopping by during dinner hour......and I always have a back-up of boneless chicken breasts in the freezer for those emergency nights!

If you have been following the blog you are aware that I had a dinner party the other night for my husband's family. We had some boneless pork spare-ribs (on sale in Hannaford this week) left over from that evening so I pulled together a sweet and sour pork dish served over coconut rice. It was really good. I have to admit my children did not care for the rice but picked a bit at the pork. I had some fresh veggies left over as well from the Carlson garden raid so I added those to the dish as well.

I took....
5 grilled leftover boneless spare ribs (sliced and diced into small pieces - nothing fancy however big you want the pieces to be is up to you)
Small chopped fresh onion
Small chopped fresh green pepper
Container of sliced mush (optional)
Fresh garlic minced
Can of pineapple chunks (8oz)
1/2 cup sweet and sour sauce or any sweet marinade you may have in pantry (don't stress over something specific - grab what you have)
Sautee couple tablespoons of olive oil, fresh garlic, onion, pepper and mush until translucent. about 15 minutes on med heat.
Throw in rest of the ingredients and mix until heated through.

Rice:
Minute Brown Rice or White - follow directions on box and add:
1/2 cup coconut
SECRET INGREDIENT: Shhh....don't tell anyone.....1/4 cup Friday's Pina Colada Mix!!
Tablespoon of butter.
Add coconut and Fridays mix to water while it is boiling....add rice cover etc.

Spoon pork over coconut rice.....it was really good!!

Happy Cooking....shoot me a reply with any questions.
Melanie

No comments:

Post a Comment